Forecastle Music Festival starts tomorrow at 1:30! It’s going to be a party out there so prepare for this fun fest with my quick guide for surviving the weekend!
#1 Research: Is there a specific band you want to see? Download the Forecastle app from the iTunes App Store. You can view the lineup & schedule from your smartphone. The best feature of this app is your ability to create a custom schedule which will tell you what time to be at the specific stage of the band you wish to see.
#2 Fashion: We’re in luck it’s going to be sunny! However, it’s also going to be a mostly hot, humid, and hazy per the Wave3 Weather app. The bad news is that the ground is soft from all of the rain the past month, so there will probably be a lot of mud in no time. Don’t fret, just throw on a pair of boots and you’ll be fine. It’s survival of the trendiest but try to stay functional.
Here are some tips from the lovely Mo McKnight Howe, owner of Revelry Boutique Gallery:
– Bring a hat that can fold into your purse.
– A crossover or cute backpack to save your shoulders. Maybe even put in a change of clothes in case things get muddy (with all this rain I wouldn’t be surprised).
– If you wear a dress, consider wearing spandex shorts underneath – you’ll be walking and sweating so it will make you more comfortable. Also will make you more comfortable if you choose to sit or lay down on a blanket.
– Consider wearing a bikini top instead of a bra. Sounds weird, but with the amount of sweat and humidity you’ll be facing, nylon makes more sense than cotton. Also it could be cute if layered with a dress or sheer top.
– Beware of rompers – remember you will be using port-o-potties with dirty muddy floors so … you know how that goes. And on that note – put hand sanitizer in your purse.
TIP: Revelry and Bermuda Highway are both having a Forecastle Primp and Prep parties Friday and Saturday before the shows. They will have a henna artist coming, that will be doing flash-tats on everyone. You can also purchase flower crowns, nautical jewelry, or get your hair chalked; basically anything you need to get Festival ready so be sure to check it out!
#3 Hydrate: As I mentioned before, the heat is going to be a beast. Drink plenty of water between your alcohol libations … Space those out as much as you can if you want to make it to enjoy seeing the headliners. There will re-fillable water stations so fill up your cup with some quality H2O so you can see Sam Smith on Friday and My Morning Jacket on Saturday.
#4 Make Friends: It’s Louisville so nine times out of ten you’re going to see a lot of people you know but if you are going alone or get separated from your friends just make friends with the people you’re next to and enjoy the show. Ladies, no matter how many people you know that are going, it’s still important to have a buddy system in place. Plan ahead and have a designated place set where you all will meet in case you all are separated.
#5 Pack Accordingly: You’re going to be out enjoying the music all weekend long. Pack your small backpack or purse accordingly! Here’s a list I’ve put together for the bag or backpack I’ll have this weekend:
– Sunglasses – It’s going to be sunny each day.
– SPF 30 – Unless you have a great base tan, 3 days in the sun is overexposure and you’ll probably burn – ouch!
– A water bottle – They’ll allow a sealed or empty water bottle so bring whatever you have. Just remember to stay hydrated and refill at the water stations.
– Hand Sanitizer – Porta Potties … Need I say more?
– Wipes – Again with the porta potties. This is self-explanatory.
– Advil – Music, heat, and bourbon … You’re going to need it.
– B12 vitamins – They’re great for an energy boost and can help cure your hangover if you overindulge yourself with the adult beverages.
– Your ID – If you want to enjoy the adult beverages or go into the Bourbon Lodge, you’ll need to bring your ID. There is a limited number of tickets available for the Bourbon Lodge, be sure to purchase your ticket(s) now by visiting www.ForecastleFest.com
– Portable Charger – You’ll probably need to recharge your phone at some point while you’re there. You can purchase these from a variety of stores in Louisville. Places I know that sell them are Best Buy, Target, Walgreens, CVS, et cetera.
Lastly, I’ll pack a variety of female must-have’s. Check the website for a list of things you can / can’t bring. Click HERE for the FAQS page.
#6 Refresh Your Gypsy Soul: This should really be #1 but it fell here in my writing but it’s one of the best things about a festival or concert; escapism. Go and have fun! Let your mind forget about the outside world and just enjoy the moment by taking in the music with the people you’re with and be present. Put away your phone and forget about your stressors. Let Forecastle be your escape for the weekend. Unplug and refresh.
#7 Parking: There is plenty of street parking and many open lots near Waterfront Park. Check out Forecastle’s Transportation page with more details. There will be cabs, City Scoot, and download the Uber or Lyft app! Do whatever you can to get to and from the festival safely. Just don’t drink and drive!
Visit Forecastle Festival’s website for any additional info.