The battles on the football field and basketball court are not the only rivalry for fans of the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky this fall. U of L and UK faithful will also put their loyalties to the test at the third annual Rivalry Gala. Set for Sept. 29 at The Seelbach in downtown Louisville, the event will be a one-of-a-kind evening of red and blue rivalry working together to fight cancer and support the work of the American Cancer Society (ACS).
“The Rivalry Gala is Louisville’s signature gala-fundraiser for the American Cancer Society and one of the most unique events in our city,” says Gala chairperson Kasia Harshaw. “We have a goal of raising over $100,000 to support cancer research, education, advocacy and patient services. All of the funds raised from the Rivalry Gala will be used to support The American Cancer Society’s work in our local community.”
ACS Executive Director Jan Walther adds, “The American Cancer Society currently funds nearly $6 million in research in the state of Kentucky alone; over $4 million of that research is funded in Louisville. The Rivalry Gala is a fun evening that makes a difference in the lives of so many. I look forward to seeing you Sept. 29.”
Following the success of last year’s sold-out event, there are plenty of new additions for 2017. Hosted by Lauren Adams of WLKY-TV and beginning at 5:30 p.m., the black-tie (or, depending on your allegiance, red or blue tie) Rivalry Gala includes:
– The musical talents of the nationally known group Linkin’ Bridge. This Louisville-based group made it to the finals of season 11 of “America’s Got Talent.”
– Appearances from former U of L and UK players.
– Live auction experiences including a week at a home in Montana, a week in St. Augustine, FL., a trip to Las Vegas, dazzling jewels from Davis Jewelers, a Katy Perry Concert package in a suite for her performance in Louisville, and a Michelin-Star Chef-for-a-day in New York City.
– Presentation of 10 American Cancer Society Cure Champions:
– Julie Raque Adams, Kentucky State Senator, Owner: Adams & Call Inc.
– Corliss “Marie” Brown, CTR, Cancer Registry Manager, KentuckyOne Health
– Bart Bushong, President, RFX Technologies
– Lori Earnshaw, M.D., Medical Director, Hosparus, Inc.
– Heidi Fuller, Owner, Awakenings Oncology Boutique
– Marsha Karaken, Executive Assistant, James Graham Brown Cancer Center
– Barb Lechner, Retired, Jefferson County Public Schools
– Leesa Mattingly, RN, ONC, Breast Cancer Navigator, Norton Cancer Institute
– Roy Olpin, MBA, MPH, FACHE, Director of Oncology Service Line, Baptist Health
– Arash Rezazadeh, M.D., Medical Oncologist/Hematologist, Norton Cancer Institute
Tickets may be purchased online at www.RivalryGala.org. Individual tickets are $250 and sponsored tables of 10 are $2,500. Sponsors include: Kindred Healthcare, Norton Cancer Institute, Oohology, MakeSpace Web, BB&T Bank and The DFH Company. Limited sponsorships still exist and may be discussed by contacting Matthew Schuhmann at Matthew.Schuhmann@cancer.org.
About the American Cancer Society – The American Cancer Society is the nation’s largest not-for-profit, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by investing in research, promoting prevention, advocating policy changes, and providing support and information. More on www.cancer.org.