My super sweet friend, Maggie, gave me this journal on my birthday. Of course I read the quote and immediately started thinking about Peter Pan and Tinker Bell because that belief is the only thing that makes Peter fly.
As a human, we obviously don’t have this superpower because it isn’t a real capability. However, the real things on earth that we manifest in our life can makes us feel as though we are flying.
Two of those things are happiness and love. When we feel them, it can send us into a euphoric state of mind where we’re unable to think of anything bad.
But then life happens and certain situations can leave you feeling as though you’re in the lowest of trenches and can’t dig yourself out. In this moment, we must push ourselves past the surface and realize how amazing our life is. Sure the struggles are low, but those high points can make you feel so high above your reality. Love fills in the sore spots of your heart and allows you to soar high above your previous situation.
How can you maintain that high or maintain an even keeled mindset? The management of your emotions and your ability to not get too high with the highs or too low with your lows greatly depends upon your state of mind. You have to know that even during the darkest moments of your life, there’s a light waiting for you and that light has the best moments for your life that you haven’t experienced yet.
In my newlywed life, my husband and I decided to use this book to write notes to each other and we leave it on each others desks or night stands as a surprise when we need it most. My heart smiles just typing that. It’s corny but true. His notes make my life better. He’s not as long winded as I am but just knowing he took a minute of his day to write it fills me full of joy.
Marriage has been one of my favorite reading topics lately. I research love, relationships, and spirituality every day. So after we were married I jumped right into books about marriage, co-parenting, communications, et cetera.
From my reading, I put together this quick list on how to have a healthy and happy marriage:
1) Greet your partner lovingly in the morning, or in my case, he leaves coffee next to me to let the “bear” in me wake up first. I’m not a morning person so this is the best thing he can do for me and he does, every single day.
2) Text each other throughout the day to say hello, sharing your moments, and even the occasional sweet note.
3) Hug them when they come through the door. Life’s hard out there, hug your partner to remind them of the home you have as your shelter from the rest of the world.
4) Be present during mealtimes. Make eye contact with them and talk about your day. Your partner should be your #1 bestie. Make sure they know all about what’s going on in your life so they can be there for you when you need it.
5) Compliment your partner at least once a day. It can be for anything; what they’re doing, meals they’ve made, errands they ran for the house, how their eyes look with the blue shirt or whatever color … Just compliment them. Treating them the best you can will inspire them to treat you the best they can.
6) Be vulnerable. Your partner can’t read your mind, you must discuss with them what you need and how you feel in the relationship. If you put walls up around your heart just so you can’t get hurt, it’s only going to hurt you worse in the long run because the wall did their job; they kept your heart isolated and that’s how your love will turn out if you stay on that path.
7) Taste your words before they leave your mouth. Once words are said, they cannot be taken back and no apology can ever make them go away.
8) If they hurt you, you must learn to forgive and let go. If you don’t the things that hurt you will only haunt you instead. Letting go doesn’t mean forgetting, it means you’re allowing yourself the positive space to move forward instead of staying stuck in the spot you’re in. A happy relationship is TWO people that can forgive each other.
9) Say “I love you” and say it often. Love conquers all and those three little words can make such an impact on your partners soul. Be like Nike and just do it!
10) Learn to communicate in a healthy way with words of affirmation that come from a space of adoration.
Just like any other relationship, marriage takes work. With a little positivity and love, you will be able to make it through because you’re focusing on one another instead of dwelling in a negative place. When you let love into your heart and mind, you’ll learn that love conquers all.